How do we verify the identity of potential new hires who lost all their identification documents as a result of a disaster?

There is no provision to hire anyone within the Federal service absent proof of personal identification. However, during previous disasters, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has historically provided services to expedite assistance in obtaining personal identification. In the past, Document Centers have been established at each FEMA designated shelter. Check the FEMA website for postings of Document Centers and other updates. Receipts for the application of a replacement document where the document was lost, stolen, or destroyed can be accepted, but the employee must present the replacement document within 90 days from the date of hire. If the document presented is a receipt for a pending H-1B Visa, 240 days may be allowed to receive final documentation. If the individual has prior Federal civilian service, s/he or the HR representative may fax a request to the National Personnel Records Center at 314-801-9269 for copies of civil service records (e.g., SF-50s, “Notification of Personnel Actions” documenting appointments and separations). Requests should include the individual’s full name used during Federal employment, the SSN, the date of birth, the name of the employing agency, and dates of service. If the individual has prior military service, s/he may request a copy of his/her DD214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty” from the National Personnel Records Center. Individuals should follow the instructions posted at the National Archives-eVetRecs website to obtain an expedited copy of their DD214. It typically takes about six working days for the Center to process a request.